Saturday, September 8, 2007

Soupy Tour -- Pink Casts and Author Quilts


Detroit: Fun Q&A with my readers, followed by a signing. Yes, I also signed books!



You know those Author Quilts -- the kind where they send an author a square and ask for it to be signed or, better yet, illustrated? I've been signing squares for years but this is the first one I've ever seen put together in person. The illustraters sent in fabulous work -- most of the authors just signed their names. My square looked so bleak, so pallid, with just my name and a little heart, and the year, 1998. Even though Beverly Cleary had done exactly the same thing (and she's my hero!) now I had the chance to remedy the situation. I couldn't resist all those brightly colored markers. So 9 years later I added "Oh how I wish I could illustrate!" And then I added "Maybe I can learn. It's never too late, right?" And then I starting messing with the original heart and then --- they took away the markers before I messed up the whole thing.

Thanks to the team at Borders in Novi, especially Nicole. And thanks to all of you who came to this event. You gave me a great start to my book tour.