Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Soupy Tour -- Pillows

New York -- back in our apartment and to tell you the truth, there was less stress on the road. On the road you know what you have to do, and you do it! At home you need to unpack, do the laundry, grocery shop, keep all the appointments that were set up before the road trip, catch up on work (or at least, look at it) -- well, it's real life. This is nothing new to any of you, I know.

The hotels we stayed at had the most luxurious pillows on the beds -- stacks of them. I loved sinking into them. I'm supposed to be allergic to feathers and down so buy only non-allergic pillows -- but I didn't have any allergies while we were traveling -- and last night, as I stacked up my own pillows (I sleep on three, angled so they don't hurt my neck) I found them, well, lacking. There's something about that crisp hotel linen and those stuffed pillows.

I remember my first book tour (16 cities) for Wifey, when my kids were 15 and 17 and we lived in Santa Fe. At my request my publisher flew me home to them every weekend. It's not easy to get in and out of Santa Fe. You have to fly to Albuquerque, then drive or take a bus up to Santa Fe (about an hour). I'd get home late Friday night and have to leave again on Sunday afternoon. I'd try to be Mom while I was home but I was so tired I'm sure I didn't do the best job. Traveling with George makes it a lot more fun on the road. And my grown children don't need me in the same way they did when they were teens. I can just call to say hello. Two weeks isn't a big deal to them. To me it feels as if I've been away for ages.

The doorbell is ringing...be right back...
Wow -- the most beautiful flowers were just delivered. No, not from my secret admirer, from my publisher, thanking me for getting through the book tour. Sweet.
Wishing you all something sweet, too.
XX Judy